Cherokeean to hold writing contest
The Cherokeean is opening up a writing contest for the aspiring journalists in the area, with the top three selections being published in an upcoming issue and the grand prize winner receiving four tickets to Schlitterbahn in Galveston.
The contest is open to Cherokee County students in grades five through 12 and must meet the following requirements:
• The topic must be a human-interest story relevant to Cherokee County.
• The submission must be written in AP style.
• The submission must contain no less than 1,000 words.
• The submission must include the first and last name of the writer, age and town they reside in. Please note, age and town will not be published and is for internal records only.
• The submissions must be received no later than Friday, Aug. 2 and can be mailed to PO Box 348, Rusk, TX 75785; emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or dropped off at the Cherokeean’s office, 595 N. Main St., Rusk.
The staff of the Cherokeean will review all received submissions and will select the top three stories. Those three submissions will be printed in the Aug. 7 issue of the Cherokeean and will also be posted to the Cherokeean’s Facebook page. The grand prize winning submission will be the story receiving the most likes on the Facebook post. Facebook voting will end on Aug. 13, with the winner announced on Aug. 14.
Please support the Cherokeean Herald by subscribing today!