Rusk moves annual clean-up day to April 27
The city of Rusk’s annual city-wide spring Clean-Up Day has been rescheduled due to bad weather.
City officials said the event will now be held from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, April 27.
"Because this Saturday's (April 13) forecast is so bad, we've decided to move the clean-up day to later in the month," Rusk Utility Billing Manager Pam Tyer said Friday, April 12.
No other changes to the clean up event have been made.
“This is open to all residents who live inside the city limits and to any resident outside the city limits who is a city water customer,” Rusk Public Works Director Neill Holcomb said. “We will have city workers at each dumpsite to help with unloading, but citizens are urged to bring adequate help with them, especially if they’ve got a loaded trailer.”
Dump locations will be at the Rusk City Barn on U.S. Highway 69 S., and at Conley Park on Reeder Street. All items must be manageable by two people when loading the container.
Items the landfill cannot accept and will not be accepted at the city’s clean-up sites include:
- liquids of any kind;
- whole tires (must be split or quartered);
- oil or oil filters;
refrigerators, A/C units or any appliance containing CFCs (Freon);
- lead acid batteries;
- hazardous waste including chemicals and pesticides, medical waste of any kind or dead animals; and
- paint or paint buckets (only if paint is completely dried and free of liquid).
Items that are accepted include:
- brush and yard waste;
- bulky household items like furniture, outdoor grills, water heaters, dishwashers and appliances that do not use Freon;
- paper or cardboard items;
- lawn mowers (drained of all liquids);
- construction debris;
- scrap wood and metal items; and
- mattress sets.
The accepted items are mentioned as a guideline and not inclusive, you may throw away anything as long as it is not one of the above listed non-acceptable items.
For more information, call Rusk City Hall at (903) 683-2213.
Please support the Cherokeean Herald by subscribing today!